Postfix virtual.db Permission Denied

Discussion in 'Parallels Plesk Panel 10.x for Linux Problems, Suggested Fixes, and How-To' started by German Wider, Apr 23, 2012.

1. German Wider

German Wider New Member

Dear Colleagues, dear Support!

I'm seeing the following quite a lot recently in my maillogs.

Apr 23 08:33:48 xxxxxxx postfix/postalias[3630]: fatal: open database /var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual.db: Permission denied
    Apr 23 10:33:48 xxxxxxx qmail-queue-handlers[3621]: handlers_stderr: postalias: fatal: open database /var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual.db: Permission denied

I can recreate the error reliably by sending an email to two addresses: Address A (which is on the server and forwards to Address B) and to Address B directly. In this case only one email is being delivered.
    But I'm not sure if this is necessarily related to the issue.

Is anyone experiencing similar issues and could point me towards a solution?
    Thanks a lot!
  2. IgorG

IgorG Parallels Team

Make sure that you have the same permissions there:

3. Michael Wa.

Michael Wa. New Member

Yes they are the same as far as I can see:

4. Singular

Singular New Member

I am having this problem as well. Is there a fix for this yet? It started after the most recent automatic update.
  5. IgorG

IgorG Parallels Team

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  6. Michael Wa.

Michael Wa. New Member

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Plesk Panel, 10.4.4 Update #27, Linux 2.6.18-028stab095.1 - CentOS release 5.8 (Final) , x86_64

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

You can recreate the error reliably by sending an email to two addresses: Address A (which is on the server and forwards to Address B) and to Address B directly. In this case only one email is being delivered.

Error Log:
    Apr 23 08:33:48 xxxxxxx postfix/postalias[3630]: fatal: open database /var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual.db: Permission denied
    Apr 23 10:33:48 xxxxxxx qmail-queue-handlers[3621]: handlers_stderr: postalias: fatal: open database /var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual.db: Permission denied

--------------------------------------------------------------
  7. IgorG

IgorG Parallels Team

Did you try - http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=622546&postcount=8 ?
  8. German Wider

German Wider New Member

Hi Igor,

yes we tried reinstalling the mail drivers. Apparently that didn't help.

What strikes me as odd is the reference to Postfix in this path "Apr 23 08:33:48 xxxxxxx postfix/postalias[3630]: fatal: open database /var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual.db: Permission denied".
    We're using Qmail.
    Initially we had Postfix running, but then switched back to Qmail. Is it possible that some configuration wans't replaced properly?

Thanks for your help!
    German
  9. German Wider

German Wider New Member

Sorry, please ignore.
    It seems the problem was resolved, after all, as the error messages are no longer being displayed.
    The failed mail delivery must have had a different cause in this case.
    Apologies!
  10. Flachzange

Flachzange New Member

As I had the same problem: Check the file permission of the parent folder "plesk". I had to assign 771 to make it work. Don't know why the user is not in group postfix. Sending of mails is now a bit faster.