"Stopping" state forever

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by nethubonline, Apr 12, 2012.

1. nethubonline

nethubonline New Member

Hi all,

Hardwares & Softwares:
    Virtuozzo Windows 4.5 with updated to VZU450037
    Windows Server 2008 Enterprise SP2 64bit English
    2 x Intel Xeon CPU E5506
    24GB RAM
    Installed McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0i

Users will restart their container via PIM, however sometimes the container will stuck in "Stopping" state forever and can't stop completely (so it won't restart too).

In task manager of hardware node we can see there is 1 process there which is related to that CTID, but we cannot kill it by "End Process", at this moment, even we login to hardware node and click to restart it, the server keeps stopping, we guess it is because that container stuck in stopping state so that the VZ service cannot stop then the server cannot stop. The only way we can do is to hard reboot.

We have about 15 containers in this server, it happens about once per 2 months, does anyone has idea on it?

We don't know how to check and where to check, please help and thanks a million!!
  2. nethubonline

nethubonline New Member

Can someone from Parallels help?
  3. mixtli

mixtli New Member

Hi,

this issue could have several reasons. One common reason could be that a VPN connection is not terminated manually before a reboot or shutdown of the CT.
    The most efficient way to debug this issue is to create a memory dump while a CT is stuck, and provide it to Parallels support. At kb.parallels.com there should be HowTo`s available.

I am working with PVC 4.6 and did a lot of debugging the last month with Parallels. So, I know that several patches have been released for these "locking" issues with this PVC version. Although it is not fixed completely yet, unfortunately....
    Nevertheless maybe you should considering upgrading your nodes to the latest PVC version. Parallels support will you give this advise as well. :)
  4. nethubonline

nethubonline New Member

Hi mixtli,

Thanks for your help and update. coincidentally that CT is VPN-enabled , it seems similar to the common reason you mentioned. Sounds good that Parallels have some patches for this. Hope that it can be fixed in most case.

For upgrading from PVC 4.5 to 4.6, as it is production server, we afraid there will be other unexpected problem generated, so I think we will stay in PVC 4.5 at this moment :)
  5. mixtli

mixtli New Member

Sure, understand. The est way anyhow, is to make an installation of PVC 4.6 on a separate server and migrate CTs from 4.5 to 4.6, after testing and backing up.
    Only be sure to pay attention to some limitations regarding the different Windows versions. The knowledge has a good article about this issue.

Good luck :)
  6. RikG

RikG New Member

If you can't kill a CT's process from task manager you can always try Sysinternal's Process Explorer. I don't know if Process Explorer just omits the error message but I never ran into that problem when trying to kill any processes with it. I also found out that trying to "restart" the process using Process Explorer sometimes produces the desired result.