Upgrading from beta

Discussion in 'Plesk 6.0 Installation and 'How Do I' Questions' started by Decius, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Decius

Decius New Member

Anyone does this? Any advice?
  2. Viocon

Viocon Guest

Only advice I have is REINSTALL. I was told you should reinstall. I tried to "so call upgrade" and it didn't go well. Plus it's a great idea to start from scratch anyways. Never keep beta versions on your system. Always go into production with a CLEAN system. It really doesn't take that much time to reinstall and set your system up from scratch. It will make you sleep better.

Just my 2 cents!! :)
  3. Decius

Decius New Member

"didn't go well" - What do you mean?

The reason I ask is that it's on a live server and I don't have the luxury of doing a clean install.
  4. Viocon

Viocon Guest

In short it didn't complete the install successfully. Plesk doesn't recommend it either. Why did you install a betta on a live server?
  5. Decius

Decius New Member

Long story, but basically I was at a point in late may when I needed to switch hosts. As I was doing this I purchased a new machine and had to colocate it as soon as possible. At that point I had two choices:

1. Go with redhat 7.3 and plesk 5.05.
    2. Go with redhat 9 (with superior multi-threading) and plesk 6 beta

Plesk 5.05 does not work on redhat 9 and I didn't want to degrade the entire OS because 6 was coming out very shortly.

Also, hacking 5.0.5 into redhat 9 seemed like a very bad idea.

Regardless, the beta has worked flawlessly since I ran it. I push about 8 mbits of data at any given time with about 60 thousand users a day and it's been great.

So I just want to upgrade it, put in my license information and not worry about it anymore.
  6. eilko

eilko New Member

we tried to update the RPMs on a test server and with the usual 'rpm -Fvh' we were able to upgrade the beta to the release. We haven't found problems with it yet... although we would never have done it on a production server